5 things you should do if you are in an accident
- Collect information: The first thing you should automatically do is call the police. Then, get as much information about the other driver as possible.
- Get medical treatment: If you feel any symptoms after your accident, seek treatment immediately. You do not want to give the insurance company any doubts over the cause of the injuries.
- Document damages: A representative of the other person’s insurance company will want to physically look at your vehicle before they authorize repairs or write you a property damage check for those repairs.
- Don’t speak with the other insurance company about injuries: You certainly want to speak with the other driver’s insurance company about the damage to your car however, you have no obligation to discuss the accident or discuss your injuries with the insurance company.
- Retain a lawyer: Your best interest is always protected and they can help you navigate the very confusing process of filing a claim and are dedicated to getting you the best results possible
Helping clients recover the compensation they are owed
Motorcycle accidents are among the most dangerous to the victims because of how vulnerable the rider is at the point of impact. Unlike car and trucking accidents in which you are protected, motorcycle accidents almost always tend to result in serious injuries to the driver. At the Toledo-area law office of Contrada & Associates, we represent motorcycle accident victims and their families and fight to secure the positive results they deserve.
Risk factors facing motorcyclists
Motorcyclists are 35 times more likely to experience a deadly accident on the road than those in passenger cars. However, in our experience, we have found that most wrecks are not caused by the motorcyclists, but instead by outside factors such as:
Our Toledo-area attorneys look at the facts surrounding your case to discover who is at fault for your crash so we can secure the proper compensation for your pain and suffering. Whether your accident involved another motorcycle, car or truck, we are fully equipped to go after the negligent party on your behalf.
Severity of motorcycle accident injuries
Tragically, many motorcycle accidents result in serious, often permanent injuries, including head injury and brain trauma, loss of limbs, paralysis and debilitating pain. At Contrada & Associates, we have handled many motorcycle accident cases for clients with serious injuries. Some of these clients have had to endure multiple surgeries and even amputations. The severity of a head injury or other type of serious injury can affect all aspects of your life. Our motorcycle and auto accident attorneys fight for your rights to hold negligent individuals accountable.
The facts about motorcycle accidents
In Ohio, all motorcycle riders under the age of 18 are required to wear a helmet, as are riders with a “novice license.” However helmets are only 37 percent effective for drivers and 41 percent effective for passengers in preventing fatal injuries. In 2011 alone, 4,612 motorcyclists were killed, while 81,000 were injured nationwide. The risk is high for riders, and it’s vital that you go to an experienced and dedicated law firm to represent you if you are involved in a motorcycle accident.
Get in touch with a team of veteran motorcycle accident attorneys today
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident in Northwest Ohio, call Contrada & Associates today at 419.841.4400 or contact us online to set up a free consultation about your case.